Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Leaving/Taking a message....

Tonight is the spelling test. Are you ready?
Don't forget to practice your phone dialogue (below). If possible, practice with your partner BEFORE break.

Phone dialogues - LEAVING A MESSAGE

1. (Calling to say you are stuck in traffic.)
Secretary: Administration, May I help you?

Bill: Hi Mary. I hate to say this but I am stuck in traffic. I think I am going to be about 30 minutes late. Can you tell everyone who is coming to the meeting to go ahead and start without me?

Secretary: I’ll let them know. So you’ll be here around 9:30-ish?

Bill: That’s the way it looks. Thanks, Mary.

Secretary: No problem. See you when you get here.


2. (Calling to tell the teacher you are sick.)
John: Hello?

Viktor: Hello? Is Liz there?

John; Sorry, she just stepped out. Can I take a message?

Viktor: Yes…well, this is her student, Vikor Isak. Please let her know that I have a bad cold and won’t be able to make it to class today. I’ll get the homework assignment from Yuriy.

John: I’ll do that. Take care of your cold.

Viktor: Thank you.. Sorry to bother you at home.

John; That’s alright. Bye now.

Viktor: Goodbye.

3. (Calling to say your child is sick and you will be late.)
Linda: Thank you for calling the Marriott. How can I help you?

Pat: Hi, Linda. I just called to let my supervisor Ms. Black know that I have a sick child today, and I have to take him to the doctor. I think I’ll be about an hour late for work.

Linda: I see. I’ll let her know.

Pat: I’m really sorry. I can work late tonight to make up for it.

Linda: I’m sure she will be glad to hear that. I’ll give her the message.

Pat: Thank you so much. See you later.

Linda: Goodbye.

4. (Calling the boss to say you can work overtime, and have a question.)
Lynn: Hello?

Bob: Hi, Lynn. I got your husband’s message about working overtime on Friday. I’m just calling to say I would be glad to do that.

Bob: I’m sure he’ll be glad to hear that!

Lynn: I do have one question, though. I am not sure what time I should start work.

Bob: Oh! I’ll ask him, and have him get back to you.

Lynn: I appreciate it. Thank you.

Bob: I’ll have him call you as soon as he gets back. Bye, now.

Lynn: Goodbye.

5. You call your boss, who is out of town, and leave a message asking him to call you.
Simone: Hello?

Mohamed: Hi -- Is this Simone?

Simone: Yes it is. What can I do for you?

Mohamed: I think Mr. Wang gets back today. Can you have him call me this evening?

Simone: Alright. What is your number?

Mohamed: It is 425-893-7729. It’s about next week’s schedule. I’ll be home all evening.

Simone: I’ll have him do that. Is that all?

Mohamed: That should do it thanks. See you later.

Simone: OK. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment